Thursday, June 12, 2014

Update

Its been a little while since I have given an update on Gavin.  He is now 6 1/2 months and seems to be doing great! We've had a ton of doctor appointments and therapies over the last week.

At his 6 month well baby check he weighed in at 18lbs, and 26 inches.  He is approximately in the 50%, which his pediatrician said is great. They usually go by a different weight and height chart in children with Down syndrome.


 He is progressing in his physical therapy and getting a little stronger everyday.  He has been sitting by himself for a short time but was reminded that hes actually only "propping" himself with his arms like a tripod. OH WELL! in my book, he is still sitting by himself.. and we are going to continue to praise him for the things that other people take for granted.  Before I know it he will be crawling so I am ok with him taking his time on reaching some of these goals.





At his ENT appointment, I was once again annoyed because I feel like I constantly get the run around there. No one seems to know anything and I see a different doctor or PA every time I go. They do a ton of different hearing tests but never know anything. Every time it comes back "inconclusive" So why am I going at this moment in time???? After voicing my concern, the doctor suggested we put him under anesthesia and clean out any build up in his extra narrow ear canals.  They cannot do this while he is awake because for one it will severely irritate him and also so that he will hold still.  Once everything is clear they will be able to see his ear drum and go ahead and put his tubes in.  Once tubes are in, and fluid is drained they will THEN do the ABR test AGAIN to determine how well or how little he is able to hear.  I know tubes are a pretty routine surgery that everyone tells me is no big deal however he will be only be 7 months and he will be under an hour and a half. With just getting tubes you are in and out in 15 min, but with cleaning and testing him afterwards he will be under a lot longer.  None of my boys have ever had to be put under and so I will admit that this makes me a little nervous. At least we will know whats going on with his hearing finally! So..... July 1st is the big day. Please keep G in your prayers.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment