Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

“October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, a chance to spread awareness.  During the month of October, we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make people aware of our abilities and accomplishments.  It’s not about celebrating disabilities, it’s about celebrating abilities.” Chris Burke

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and let me just say that this time last year I don't think I even knew about it being in the month of October. I probably wasn't even aware.  See, when you aren't directly affected by something then you have a tendency to overlook it. This was the case with many things in my world. Not that I didn't care, or didn't want to, it was just that I was not educated or aware of certain things going on around me everyday.  That is one thing I can say I definitely learned in the last 10 months from having a son with DS.  Every day I find out something knew about children with special needs and I want to be aware of what they are going through and how I can help...   I am not ignorant anymore, and I don't live under a rock, in my little bubble where my life is "perfect" and "normal".  God rocked my boat 10 months ago, and I thought it was the end of the world. But I am here to tell you that everyday it gets better, and I am finally in a place where I am not sad anymore. It may have seemed like the end, but it was just the beginning to something beautiful and different. Something that I wasn't familiar with, but in time i've seen that Gavin is truly a blessing, not a hindrance.  I am so unbelievably grateful for this little boy.




Down syndrome is NOT a disease, its not a death sentence, and its certainly NOT a negative thing! DS is not the problem, its our society and how some people view it.... yes, most of these children do things at a slower pace physically and cognitively but they still do them! They are just like any of us, and deserve love just the same.



I want to personally challenge all of you to spread awareness this month... (well every month, but especially this one)... in ALL or the following 3 ways (or at least one):

1. Carry out a random act of kindness- everyday this month, do something kind for someone else...if can be anything you want as long as its from the heart, and there are no stipulations.

2. Share information with friends, family and your community- Here is some great information from The National Down Syndrome Society  and also some myths and facts.

3. Participate in a Down syndrome walk. Our local Buddy Walk is this coming Sunday and we would love to have you join our team, however if you do not live locally, you can reach out to your local Down syndrome association and find out when their walk is. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, consider donating to an organization.  If you would like to join our team and walk with us, or donate you can do so here.  To find a local Down syndrome organization near you, please visit this site.





I would like to share this video with you, in hopes that you will all share it to. Thank You.




No comments:

Post a Comment